Monday, March 15, 2010

Update From Ethiopia!

Audrey, Ty and Amber made it safely to Ethiopia! Audrey is having a hard time getting to the blog, so here is her update (and some pictures):

March 13, 2010

Departed DC! KT picked us up from the house in the afternoon. We hit target to buy some waterproof mascara and a thermos. The fun began! We arrived in plenty of time to get our bags through. No trouble. All the time we spent weighing and moving stuff around was worth it! We shopped for sunglasses (Ty got some) and ate at subway. We had a big time. We met some ladies doing an annual missionary trip t o ET who had on great purple Ethiopia 2010 Tshirts! She told me she’d send me one and took my email address J. Once on the flight we found the Beals, one of the two other families traveling with us. We also met another adoptive mother and her older son. Their family consists of 2 Russian, 2 bio, 1 Guatemalan and now an ET adoption! We spoke with American/Ethiopian people sitting next to us. Ty and Amber slept for much of the flight. I was not as lucky. I read, listened to music and watched Blind Side (great movie!!!). The ET flight attendants were all beautiful. They carry themselves with a very dignified and proud air. Very interesting. They could be blunt! The food was ok. All in all, it was fairly painless I would have to say! We fueled in Rome and never got off the plane. L we landed on time, at about 8 pm local time. Then we waited in line for our Visas (the $20 pretty bill!), money exchange (13.5 exchange rate) and Passport stamp. Then we got our luggage (All accounted for!) and began the hassle of fending off the guys in the green jump suits! They basically tried to just take our luggage and put it on the customs scanning belt for us. They were VERY insistent. Ty fended them off for the most part but they still were grabbing bags out of our hand and putting them on the belt. The customs guy was barely watching the screen. He asked me to open Micah’s bag and wanted to know what the bottle liners were! LOL! I’m sure to him they were quite strange looking! While he was looking at our bag, other bags just kept going through the scanner, without anyone checking them. Bags would just fall off onto the ground! What a mess! The guys in the green jump suits then were insisting on big tips from the men. Very in your face about it! Ty started haggling right off. I felt sorry for the Beals! Charlie bill totally got scammed! We then went out and found our AWAA driver,T, jamming out to music! He and David took us out of the airport. We were immediately surrounded by men working for tips. I had a beggar flank me all the way to the van! She was saying “hungry, so hungry” and looked like she had a baby, though I did not see it. T told me to keep walking and follow his lead. She was practically touching me! Ugh! The men loaded all 100 of our bags on top of the van! They then haggled BIG time for tips. Ty gave each man 100 birr and they tried to get more. That is about 8.00. Then they tried to get the same from Charlie. He stood his ground. They were really in his face! It was quite an experience! I rode up front to the Guest House! WOW. The town/streets were amazing. Little alley way shops, shacks, tents, boxes, beggars, coffee shops, fruit stands, huge slabs of meat hanging, clubs, guest houses etc. WOW. I cannot wait to take pictures! The guest house is very nice!! Ty and Amber enjoyed the beer, which I did not think was bad actually! There are two fridges full of water and drinks! Very nice. The bed is soft but who cares! The shower is nice and clean and the water is hot! I forgot to NOT brush my teeth with the water. I’m really hoping I don’t get sick!

March 14, 2010

We got up around 530. The noises over night were chickens, dogs whining/barking and wind! This morning we heard chanting! I am so mad at myself for forgetting a daytime allergy medicine! The pollution is terrible… There is a very cute dog outside! I went out on our balcony and kissed at him and he wagged his tail at me! I asked Amber if we could take him home. A and T are trying to learn Amharic right now. It is so foreign to me… Selam! Halo!! Amesigan alehu (thank you). So far we’ve had some dark chocolate with sea salt as we wait for a meal!!!!


Now.... that is where Audrey's post ends, but I will fill in what I know to get everyone up to date, and will post her updates as soon as I get them.

Today (MONDAY, the 15th) was truly an amazing day for the Ferrel family......they got to meet Micah! They are, of course, completely in love with him already. Here is a snippet from the short email she was able to get out today:

Had an amazing day! You are going to eat him with a spoon! He is so awesome! Great baby! Independent. Strong as an ox and 18.5 pounds no kidding!!!!!!!! He is very alert, starting to crawl, starting to sit up and very very active!

Micah is doing great, though they put him on antibiotics today for some lingering congestion. A visit to the pediatrician when he gets home will definitely be in order!

Pictures from their first meeting:





After meeting Micah, Audrey went off for her massage and pedicure, and Ty headed back to the Guest House.

Tomorrow's schedule holds shopping in the morning. then they go back to get Micah and take him "home" with them to the Guest House. They are very excited to get him for good!


Meanwhile, here at home, the girls are hanging with Nana and waiting to meet their new little brother! We have some "welcome home" projects planned!!!



Keep your prayers coming! I know that Audrey and Ty feel and appreciate all of them! Hopefully, more later!

Thanks,
KT

2 comments:

Mike and Amy said...

I woke up this morning in Illinois and thought, "Oh, you all have met your son!" So, so, so happy for you!
In His Love,
Amy
Mom to John and Ryan

Doug and Danielle said...

Praying you are having a wonderful time and bonding you your little boy!