Hey all! Thanks KT for the updates! Not sure how long I'll have internet, so this will be very short! Last night was LONG. Poor baby is so congested (he is on amoxy) he was up A LOT. He seemed like he was scared. Eventually I just put him down beside me and hugged him. He did much better with that! He ate once in the middle of the night. This morning he played and had a ball. LOVES toys! We had a great Bfast with the other families here. Now we are waiting to go to our Embassy appointment. I know it will go fine, but I JUST found out yesterday that his mother DID NOT show up for court (so I have NO picture for Micah) and the police declared him "abandoned". I feel a little uncomfortable with that, but the Lord will provide. We are calling him "Ahh- bay" as that is what they call him at the TH. The ET people are SO LOVING with children and kiss them, want to hold them and grab cheeks. I would be totally uncomfy if some random person did that in the states, but here, it is fine with me! Speaking of kissing, at one of the shops yesterday and old man whom I was bargaining with grabbed my face and planted one on me! TWICE! The second time I knew it was coming and turned my cheek! I have been kissed by an Ethiopian man! :) The girls got beautiful dresses out of the deal, so it was worth it! Anyway, more later. Not sure I have the words to describe this place but I'll try. Right now Micah is snoozing in his beco.
Quick notes for those preparing to come. We are all sitting around waiting to go to the embassy so are brainstorming. Apologies to those who dont care! Just skip this part!
Bring: chapstick, shoe polish (brown and black in CANS) and gum to give to the street kids to sell. Robel (one of our guides) has an awesome street kid ministry and the kids are just amazing! I also gave them good granola bars and fruit snacks with vit c.
Wear shoes that can be shined and let them shine them!
Get small bills at the airport when you exchange money for tipping!
DO NOT let the men in jump suits help you with your luggage! They are VERY PUSHY and you will be forced to tip them at the end. Have 20 birr in YOUR POCKET and do NOT be sifting through your money. They are horribly pushy and it is intimidating until you get used to it. Be prepared to have beggars stalk you out of the airport. Stay with David or T, and you'll be fine. You'll need to tip the guys who put your bags up on top of the van, I'd do 10 birr per person. Again, have it ready and stand FIRM. They will try to get more.
Bring more baby wash then you think you need and don't forget the bulb syringe. All three of the kids in our group are a bit snotty, Micah is the worst.
Make sure you have LOTS of snacks to hand out to street people. I would make sure they have nutritional value too!
Bring a thermos for hot water if you are taking home a baby!
Don't forget to drink tons of water.
Work out before you come. I am in fairly decent shape and walking up 4 flights of stairs in this altitude is KILLING ME. Micah being 18.5 pounds is not helping me! :) An oxygen tank may help LOL!
Bring dramamine and a good sense of humor. Ther driving here is crazy. David is very skilled but has been known to go down the wrong side of the street. Backwards :).
Bring shoes to hand out if you can, and bring money to buy shoes to hand out (very cheap!). Every one wears crocks in the transition homes!
Bring sports equipment (basketballs!!!) for Robel's ministry. Also, tennis shoes would be great! The size would be from 4-7. Most of the street kids are boys. They also love soccer type shirts.
Bring your baby carrier :).
Bring ear plugs and an alarm clock. Amber's cell phone alarm is not working here.
Skype work and has been fabulous for us! You can also skype phone to phone for 50 cents a minute I hear.
Becca says get a global phone.
You do not need to bring a bath tub. They have them here.
You might want to bring some sort of high chair seat if you have an older baby who is eating. We are just holding ours. I wish they had bumbo's here...
If you want creamer in your coffee, you better bring it. Be prepared to eat LOTS of carbs and NO vegetables. Bring fiber! You will need it. Also bring daytime allergy pills. The pollution is really bad. You may want to take something to get you to sleep the first few nights!
Bring all the medications they suggest. You will need tums and everthing else that has to do with your tummy.
GET THE MASSAGE at the spa! OH MY GOSH! I also got a pedi. It is a very nice spa. I paid $35 US dollars and got an hour long deep massage and an hour long pedi! Who knew I'd have the best massage and pedi of my life in Ethiopia, LOL! The dude who gave me the massage works on the ET famous marathoner. My claim to fame!
OK, gotta go!
Pictures later!
One last thing! They need a basket ball hoop here at the guest house! Anyone want to bring that? I think Just the hoop/net, not the rest of it. Just a last minute idea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment